The CHFS HF Update Trainee Research Competition was created in 2019 to recognize individuals for emerging or outstanding research in the field of heart failure. Abstracts submitted to the Trainee Research competition will be considered for in-person poster presentation at HF Update.
The 2023 call for abstracts is now closed.
- Only the first author of the abstract will be eligible to submit to the Research Competition.
- To be eligible, the first author must be a non-faculty member at any academic institution/medical center. Examples of eligible applicants include (but are not limited to) students, medical residents or fellows, research fellows including post-doctorate, and allied health care professionals.
- All applicants must already be or have applied for CHFS membership. Membership is free for trainees.
- Adult and pediatric, medical and surgical, clinical and basic science research is accepted. Case reports will not be accepted.
- Submissions are accepted in both English and French.
- Applicants submitting their research abstract are asked to do so by completing this form.
- A review panel will score the abstracts and select one (1) grand prize winner, one (1) runner-up and two (2) finalists.
- Winners will be selected based upon the overall quality of the research project as presented in the abstract.
- All candidates (successful and unsuccessful) will be notified in advance of HF Update.
- The four (4) winners will feature their work though moderated poster presentation during a designated break/time slot.
- The grand prize, runner-up and 3rd and 4th place finalists will be announced during an HF Update Plenary Session.
No travel funding is provided. A prize of $2,000 will be awarded to the 1st place (grand prize) winner, $1,000 to the 2nd place runner-up, and $500 for 3rd and 4th place finalists.
Avinash Pandey, MD (Winner) University of Ottawa
The Impact of Medical Optimization with the CCS Four Pillar Model on Echocardiographic Parameters in Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction
Amir Razaghizad, MD Candidate, MSc (Runner-up) McGill University
Sex-Specific Pathways in the Pathogenesis of Heart Failure in Diabetes: Insights from the EXAMINE Trial
Simroop Ladhar, BSc (Finalist) University of British Columbia
Evaluation of PHARM-HF, a Pharmacist-led Heart Failure Medication Titration Clinic
Safia Chatur, MD (Finalist) Brigham and Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School
Decline in Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Following Transition to Sacubitril/Valsartan in Patients with Heart Failure: Insights From Paragon-HF and Paradigm-HF