It's an honor to be writing my first Presidents' Message to the members of CHFS and those who are considering joining. Thank you to Dr. Sean Virani who has led our Society for the past 2 years. Together with our new Board, I look forward to continuing our momentum in providing heart failure advocacy, promoting quality clinical care and enhancing heart failure research in Canada. Our national membership continues to grow now at 175 members strong and our international reach and impact is increasing. Let's review some of our recent successes and future initiatives:
- Our first ever Trainee Member, Dr. Jennifer Amadio, was appointed to the CHFS Board in October 2018
- SAVE THE DATE: May 10-11, 2019 is HF UPDATE in Montreal! Registration for our annual conference is now open. Go to HFupdate.ca to learn more. There are reduced registration rates for members.
- We continue to offer a joint membership for our nursing colleagues with CCCN. Click here for more information.
- NEW THIS YEAR: May 6-12, 2019 is the 1st NATIONAL HEART FAILURE AWARENESS WEEK in Canada. Click here for more information.
- Thank you to our Education Committee and our fellow CCS affiliates CHRS and CANCARE for co-producing with us 2 lively, learned and entertaining debates at CCC 2018. The Limelight Session in the CCC Forum featuring new technologies was a success as well. Our CHFS Spotlight Session featuring guest speakers, Dr. Jeff Reading (Indigenous Health), Dr. John Rumsfeld (ACC Innovation Officer), patient partner Jackie Ratz and CHFS member Dr. Kim Anderson, addressed the application of Big Data to marginalized heart failure populations.
- In conjunction with the CCTN, the second annual CHFS-CCTN Trainee Research Competition Awards were presented at CCC 2018. Congratulations to Dr. Keith Dadson who took the top prize.
- The CHFS Annual Achievement Award was presented to Dr. Jean Rouleau at CCC 2018.
- With support from our partner TRANSFORM-HF, CHFS handed out three Trainee Research Scholarships in 2018, which focused on heart failure advocacy and policy - congratulations to Drs. Nazarri, Leclerc and Tremblay-Gravel! We'll see their work presented in 2019.
- CHFS has endorsed the development of a Position Statement on Cardiac Amyloidosis and a Canadian Amyloid Registry led by Drs. Nowell Fine and Margot Davis.
- To better characterize the quality of in-patient heart failure care in Canada, the CHFS is sponsor of the CAN-HF Study, which will provide a contemporary snapshot of care processes for hospitalized patients with heart failure from across the country.
- A CHFS symposia will once again kick off the UBC Heart Failure Symposia in June 2019. Details to follow.
- The CHFS will represent the CCS at an International Perspectives Session during next year's ACC in New Orleans - the title of the presentation is "Heart Failure Advocacy: An International Perspective". Next on the International stage is a presentation at ESC 2019 in Paris as part of the ESC-CCS Symposium.
- We have begun foundational discussions with the Heart Failure Society of America (HFSA) to create a formal partnership between the two organizations which we anticipate will enhance membership and membership benefits for both organizations and include an exchange of joint symposia - more to come soon.
As you can see, CHFS continues to expand its portfolio of activities. Next on the agenda is expanding membership to patient partners. We encourage the active participation of our members and look to provide with you value in your membership with CHFS. We continue to improve with your thoughtful and encouraging feedback. Join us. Tweet us. Support us. We hope to see you at HF UPDATE in May.
President, Canadian Heart Failure Society